Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Pretend or Lies ...

I know that Justin and I are not the only ones who "pretend" along with our kids. We have been known to make up some pretty fantastic stories to wow our kiddos. Sometimes they are more practical tales to allure them  into better behavior or to produce a desired response.

Here are a few tidbits from tonight's conversation in the van on the way to the gym:
"Guys what if Mom makes Chinese food for dinner tonight?" -me
"Yeah!!"
"Mom will you make the noodles I like?" -Asher
"You mean the Lo Mein noodles?" -me
"Yeah! And will you put polar bear meat in them like they do at the Chinese restaurant?"
... me stalling...
"Asher, Chinese food doesn't have polar bear meat in it!" -Elias
"Yes, it does, Daddy said so." -Asher
"Asher, there aren't any polar bears in China. They have no way of getting polar bear meat." -Elias
"Mom is that true?" -Asher
... me stalling some more ...
"Mom, tell him the truth. Dad just told him the Lo Mein had polar bear meat in it so he would eat it, right? It was really just chicken." -Elias
After a few minutes back and forth between Asher and Elias, Asher finally says, "Mom, just tell me ... Elias says its chicken. Daddy says its polar bear meat. I am so confused. I don't know who is telling the truth."
This is when I have to tell the truth that Daddy said it was polar bear meat because he thought it would be fun to pretend that it was! I also remind Elias that we pretend many things that aren't true because it is fun and does he really want to be the guy that goes around ruining everyone's pretend fun. He'll have to think about that one because sometimes it is fun to be "that guy."

~Jodi


1 comment:

Lilah Paper said...

I love it! Too funny :)